How many of you remember getting your computer? Do you remember how fast it was and you didn’t have to wait for anything – browsers opened and programs did what you wanted and when you wanted?
Over time you may have noticed that it takes longer to get your computer to start or for anything to work properly and it may have gotten to the point that many of you are ready to just get a new computer because of the frustration you are going through.
The good news is that in many cases there is nothing wrong with your computer hardware and many of the problems you are having have to do with an accumulation of unwanted errors, clutter and other such issues.
While I am sure the geeks can give some very good and complex ways to clean and speed up your computer, if you are the average user then using tips that are easy to do are still the best place to start before phoning the repair person or getting that new computer.
Ways to clean and speed up your computer
1. When was the last time you cleaned your registry?
Every time you load a program or file, your PC is updated with instructions to operate whatever it is you have uploaded. When that item is removed or deleted, those instructions are still on your computer. Of course every time you use your computer, it tries to execute the instructions but of course as you deleted the file, it cant be found, then a registry error occurs. There are many programs online that will clean your registry and they all cost, but CCleaner is an all purpose registry cleaner that is FREE and yes I do mean free. I have been using it for years and it works. There are many programs that try to masquerade as CCleaner, so be sure to download from Piriform, the (only) creator of CCleaner here
2. Make sure that your antivirus software is up to day and use it! Personally I use Microsoft Security Essentials as it has worked very well for me. If you have Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP,you can also scan your computer with the Microsoft Safety Scanner.
3. Do you know how many unnecessary files you have on your computer? Don’t let your computer become a hoarder! Getting rid of useless files will free up memory and improve the performance of your computer. Its very easy to do by the way, access “disk cleanup” in Windows and follow the prompts.
4. Make a point of getting rid of programs that are old programs that you rarely use. On Windows Follow the Start Menu to Settings and then to Control Panel. From this screen click on Add/remove programs or Uninstall a program and uninstall programs that are no longer needed.
5. Another way to clean and speed up your computer is by defragmentting your hard drive periodically. Basically you are organizing your computers files so that the data is sequential. For Windows: click on Computer, then click Properties, then click the Tools tab. From this tab just click on the Defragment button and run the program.
6. Sometimes you can end up copying the same files or even images to different locations on your computer which can take up more space on your hard drive. I found a couple of tools that might be of real use to you
– Easy Duplicate Finder
– Duplicate Photo Cleaner
Both of these programs are very effective, lightweight and after trying both of them, I can say first hand that I embarrassed myself with how many images and files I had that were duplicates!
Bonus Tips for everyone who needs to speed up their Tablet
These simple tips to help your clean and speed up your computer are simple ways to take care of your PC, but what about mobile and speeding up such popular devices such as tablets? Here are a few tips for you to help with cleaning and speeding up your favorite device:
A)Don’t you love how you can get so many applications for your tablet, there are hundreds of them and they all are so easy to get and fun to use. The problem is, if you have too many applications installed on your tablet, problems are going to happen! What you need to do is go through those applications…are you using them? Are they really needed? If the answer is no or rarely, then get rid of them, they are taking up space and slowing you down!If you really need to have the application, then move them to an external memory stick ( portable storage devise). This same thinking by the way can be applied to the many icons and widgets that you may have on your tablet. If you are not using them or they are not needed, get rid of them and save more space on your tablet!
B) If you have a lot of videos, photos or songs on your tablet, then move them to a cloud storage such as Dropbox or Google drive, the fact is the less free space you have on your tablet the slower it will perform. You can install storage apps easily from Google Play Store.
C) Just like any touch screen on a phone or IPod, the fact is the screen on your tablet is susceptible to dust and fingerprints and when dirt starts building up, that dirt can be very difficult to remove. What this means is that your screen will be less responsive to your “touch” command. Be sure to clean your screen regularly with a micro fiber cloth. A word of warning, never ever spray your screen directly with liquid…trust me bad news! Of course the best way to keep a clean screen is to get yourself a screen protector, they are very reasonable and well worth the effort getting.
The fact is when you clean and speed up your computer or tablet, you just feel better and can get a lot more done ..do you have any tips or tricks that you use that would help others?
Feel free to share this post with other so that they will feel less frustrated with a computer or tablet that is becoming a slug!