Ten ways to get people to your site that are inexpensive and effective.by Dave Cottrell
Ten ways you can get people to your site is a simple, realistic and proven list that is far from complete, but a good place to start and get the creative juices flowing.
Not everyone will implement every one of these, but they are all effective, and best of all, can be added to your existing efforts almost seamlessly.
Don’t overthink it! One of the reasons so many people don’t start doing the things they need to do in order to achieve success is failing to start! You can spend endless hours in planning, but sometimes it’s better to just start and learn and tweak it as you go. A mother bird doesn’t spend hours teaching her young how to fly before getting them to try. She pushes them out of the nest, and they either learn to fly on the way down, or they crash.
My suggestion to you, today, is that you pick one of these to start with that you can implement with the least amount of effort and time, and put it to work. In fact, everyone should reorder this list for themselves in the order best suited for their own marketing efforts and style. This list is all about making your own website unique, so that people will visit your site instead of another.
- Offer a free affiliate program
- People need to and want to make money. Many people search for free affiliate programs every day. I just did a search on Google for “free affiliate programs” and got 51,400,000 returns. When you offer people a free way to make money, you’re going to get a ton of visitors.
- Offering a free affiliate program is a fantastic way for you to get an army of advertisers working for you, whom you only have to pay when someone pays you first.
- Offer free software
- People love to find free software for their computer. Offer free useful software, and people will find you without you going chasing them!
- You can fully automate the process, so you can set it and forget it, until you update the software. People visit your site, add their email address to your newsletter mailing list, and get sent to the encrypted download page.
- Offer a free community
- People love to belong and to connect. This is why sites like Facebook have exploded across the cyberverse. But with the massive size of the big social sites, more and more people are finding themselves, once again, an anonymous nobody in a sea of humanity. They long for smaller, more intimate communities where they can discuss subjects of mutual interest with interested and interesting friends. This is why Adlandpro has stood the test of time, still here after fifteen years (an eternity online), even with huge social media sites trying to take it all.
- It’s very simple to add a forum board or chat room to your site, with tools available like PHP Forums, PHP Chat, and of course, the many WordPress widgets.
- Offer free product samples
- Have you ever gone into a supermarket and noticed a lineup that wasn’t anywhere near the checkout? The chances are good that someone was standing by a display offering free food samples. People love to get free samples! There are entire websites dedicated just to free samples and they get a lot of traffic! When I typed in “free samples” on Google, I got 123,000,000 returns! That’s a MASSIVE amount of traffic!
- Offer a free ezine
- People really enjoy getting new, interesting and free information in their inbox that is on subjects they are interested in. Just take a quick look at your inbox first thing in the day, and if you’re like most people, you will likely be surprised at just how many ezines and newsletters you have subscribed to.
- Offer free, original content
- It’s worth the effort to be a free source of valuable information that people can’t easily find anywhere else. If you can make yourself known as the place to go for a certain type of information, you will have a lot of people coming to your site.
- Offer a free, online utility
- People love to have their problems solved easily and simply. Common utilities are things like autoresponders, e-mail accounts, and keyword checkers. But you can also offer things you specialize in like a video on how to fix a camera, or how to bake bread, or how to build raised garden beds. The ideas are endless. People have problems, and you can offer them a free solution.
- Offer free, current information
- People like to keep up to date in their area of interest. You can pull news feeds to your site that are tied to your niche, creating a rich, FREE, portal for current information for your visitors. People will find you and bookmark your site for return visits, just because you do a good job in this area.
- Offer a free contest or sweepstake
- People love to win stuff. If you offer a free contest or sweepstake with real prizes, people will absolutely flock to your websites. Hint: QUALITY software that can be downloaded is a very good prize. Purchase the resale rights to a piece of software once, and you can give it away as a prize, over and over again.
- Offer a free directory
- If you have a particular niche you have worked in for any length of time, the chances are very good that you have a bookmark file with a LOT of URLs on that niche. The chances are also very good that you did a lot of digging to build that file. Create a directory for your niche with all those websites listed in one place. People in your niche will come to your website, because they can find everything they’re looking for all in one place.
Remember, the only way any of these things will work for you is if you put them to work. Don’t overthink it. Do get started. Your success depends on what you DO, not what you spend all day thinking about doing!