The landing page is magic when is comes to your online marketing strategy and that’s a fact and understanding that the purpose of the landing page is to getting that sale has had many people in a dither on the ways to creating this magic that will have the desired results.
While there is a lot of information on the net regarding landing pages here are a few key questions to ask yourself:
- Is your landing page messaging focused on a single purpose?
- Is your primary headline phrased to answer the question “What is this page about?”
- Does your landing page explain how your product/service is unique (USP)?
- Do you provide testimonials or any other trust factor?
- Do you show certifications or logos of partners/affiliates/security registrations (like Verisign)?
- Does your landing page follow the principle of unity, where every element of the page is focused on explaining a single concept?
- Are you being clear and concise in what you are saying? Many people put in so many words they lost their readers.
- If your offer is time limited, do you make this clear for the sake of urgency?
- Are you writing using the second person ( YOU instead of I)?
- Do you proof read your copy? ( many people think in terms of spelling and grammar, but have you been consistent in how you spell? An example would be “eBook and Ebook”
Side note: the landing page should not be confused with a squeeze page as they have different functions and the best way I can explain is – The squeeze page is about getting names and email addresses with the goal of building a relationship, while the landing page is a form of sales page with the purpose to get visitors to perform a relevant call to action, whether it be to click on a contextual link, get a visitor to buy from you or even get a visitor to tell a friend about what you are offering.~Bogdan Fiedur
While the magic of landing pages may seem daunting, I found a great resource and teaching material for all of you who want to learn and make your landing page a science. It’s written by unbounce and has to be one of the the best guides I have read to date. It is broken down into 14 chapters that you can download or view as a slideshare presentation. Here is a sneak peak on what you will learn:
Chapter 1: The Fundamentals
Chapter 2: Trust & Security
Chapter 3: Landing Page SEO
Chapter 4: Before Creating a Landing Page You Should KNOW…
Chapter 5: Before Creating a Landing Page You Should DO…
Chapter 6: Before you push the “Go Live” Button
Chapter 7: At Campaign End
Chapter 8: Testing, Testing, Testing
Chapter 9: Corporate Tips
Chapter 10: Forms on Landing Pages
Chapter 11: Optimizing your Landing Page Call to Action (CTA)
Chapter 12: What NOT to do – things that can Piss off Your Customers
Chapter 13: Reporting, Metrics & Analytics for Landing Pages
Chapter 14: When to Use a Landing Page
The title is 101 Landing Page Optimization Tips and I truly recommend that you go there and learn… maybe landing pages are magical, but done with a science your marketing strategy is sure to be a success.